Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: Justice by Laurann Dohner


Justice
Justice by Laurann Dohner
Purchase link: Amazon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Heat rating:

Justice North is the face of New Species. Seeing him up close makes Jessie's heart race. He's the ultimate alpha male-big, muscular, exotically beautiful...and dangerous. Of course he's off limits. But then the sexy man purrs and all bets are off.

Jessie Dupree is a mouthy, fiery human female who brings out the animal in Justice. She wants to show him how to relax, and he's all for anything she wants to do, but Justice has sworn to protect his people and to take a Species mate. He's torn between the woman he wants and the oath he's taken.

Jessie knows a relationship between them probably won't end well; heartbreak is inevitable. But that won't stop her from freeing the wildness inside Justice and spending every moment she can steal wrapped around his hot body, making him roar with passion.

Reader Advisory: Each New Species book may be read as a standalone, but we suggest reading them in order to get the most enjoyment from the series.

I guess I will start by saying that I love the New Species series by Laurann Dohner, and I love her Species males and females.

This particular story is about Justice, the leader of the New Species and Jessie, a human. Right from the start Justice is strongly attracted to Jessie and her to him (of course!) but Justice resists the attraction and the relationship because of the potential repercussions of what him being such a public figure will do to her and her life, from the politics to the hate groups, etc. Jessie is stubborn and says it doesn't matter, that she's okay with a secret relationship as long as they can be together, but then changes her mind after only a few days of them being together. This is where the story goes off the rails for me.

I can't stand female lead characters that are stupid and fickle, and Jessie's behavior no matter her justification in her own mind was both of that for me. I think she could have approached it a lot better instead of being stupid and stubborn about it, and refusing Justice's numerous attempts to talk to her about the situation. I get that all of that is meant to create conflict in order to progress the story and head to the happy ending for Justice and Jessie, but from about 68% of the book to about 89% of the book, all I really wanted to do was hit Jessie across the head with a very large stick and tell her to get over herself. I found Jessie to be immature and self absorbed, which made her very unlikable to me, even though she did redeem herself and was kick ass tough when she took down the bad guys and protecting Justice.

Justice, on the other hand, I love. He has such a burden placed on him by the role he plays for his people and he's trying to do the right thing. He's strong and dominant but at the same time sweet and tender towards Jessie. That's what I love about all of Laurann Dohner's New Species males, they are uber alpha males and very, very dominant but they love and treat their women with such tenderness. I want to say that Justice deserved better and more understanding from Jessie and it took an attack on them and something happening to Justice to understand the meaning of what he was trying to tell her about their relationship, but he wanted her, so I just have to roll with that.

I was going to give the book 2 stars when I was seriously pissed off at Jessie, but since she redeemed herself towards the end (it still didn't make me like her though, just that I disliked her less) and I love Justice, it's getting 3 stars from me.

View all my reviews


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
Deanna's World Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/langshipley
Deanna's World blog: http://deannasworld1.blogspot.com.au/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/langshipley (this is the best way to reach me, I will always respond to this the fastest).
Twitter: @langshipley https://twitter.com/langshipley
Instagram: @langshipley http://instagram.com/langshipley
Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/langshipley/
Cooking blog: http://dazinthekitchen.blogspot.com.au/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment